Certified Peer Support Specialist
Company: Horizon House
Posted on: January 23, 2023
Horizon House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
(M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity).
Start Over with Job Search
Returning Applicant? Login Now
Certified Peer Support Specialist
County:Lehigh County, PA
Location:2541-910 EMMAUS St
Job Description/Essential Functions:
Horizon House, Inc. is a nationally recognized provider of services
to adults with support needs due to developmental disabilities,
behavioral health issues, and substance abuse. Horizon House is
Pennsylvania's oldest psychiatric rehabilitation agency. Since
1952, we have been dedicated to helping people with mental illness,
drug and alcohol addictions, developmental/intellectual
disabilities, and homelessness to stabilize their lives and to help
them live as independently as possible in the community. With over
100 locations throughout South and North Eastern Pennsylvania and
the state of Delaware, Horizon House provides services to a diverse
population focusing on individual strength and choice.
We are seeking qualified candidates for the position of Peer
Support Specialist. The position has responsibility for providing
peer support services, therapeutic interactions designed to promote
empowerment, self-determination, understanding, coping skills, and
resilience through mentoring and service coordination supports.
Assist program participants with mental illnesses and to regain
control over their own lives and their own recovery process. Other
responsibilities include the following:
* In collaboration with the team, provide program participants with
counseling and support to identify self-determined goals.
* Serve as a mentor to program participants to promote hope and
empowerment in their recovery process.
* Act as an informal educator to other team members to facilitate
understanding and empathy to each person's unique and subjective
experience and perceptions.
* Collaborate with the team to promote a team culture in which
self-determination and decision-making in recovery planning are
* Assist program participants in identifying, understanding, and
combating stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness
and develop strategies to reduce self- stigma.
* Serve as the liaison between the team and client-run programs
such as self-help groups and drop-in centers.
* Ideal candidates will have High school diploma or one year of
paid or volunteer work; or any combination of experience, education
or training that would provide the level of knowledge, skill and
* A person who is self identified as having met the criteria for
serious mental illness as defined in the Mental Health Bulletin
(OMH-94-04) who utilizes or has utilized mental health and/or
co-occurring services and has been trained and certified to help
her/his peer identify and achieve specific self-determined
* Must be a certified Peer Specialist certified by a PA State
* Demonstrates knowledge of recovery/wellness principles and
ability to model and mentor the recovery process and demonstrate
effective coping skills.
* Valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record
* Frequent interactions with peers who are at different stages of
* May be required to assist with crisis intervention in emergency
situations in an ancillary/supportive role educating and supporting
peers in the development and implementation of WRAP and Advanced
* Requires the ability to lift, carry, fold, kneel, stack, stoop
and bend which may include direct intervention with clients.
* Local travel required, including transporting program
* Flexibility in scheduling.
* May be required to report to work during emergencies, including
* Must be able to assist in the evacuation of participants during
Keywords: Horizon House, Allentown , Certified Peer Support Specialist, Other , Allentown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!