General Liability Claims Specialist
Company: Selective Insurance Group, Inc.
Posted on: June 10, 2021
A new job is a big decision. Don't work just anywhere. Be
Selective is a midsized U.S. domestic property and casualty
insurance company with a history of strong financial performance
for over 95 years. Focused on exceptional employee and customer
experience, we are frequently recognized for awards and honors,
including being named to Forbes' 2021 Best Workplaces in Financial
Services and Insurance list.
We genuinely care about each other, our customers, and the
communities in which we operate. Our leaders actively champion
career development and invite us to voice unique ideas and diverse
perspectives. If that sounds appealing, we think you would feel
inspired on our team to achieve and be rewarded for extraordinary
The purpose of this position is to provide direct handling of
the company's non- litigated and lower level litigated Auto and/or
general liability claims. Responsibilities of this position include
basic coverage analysis, investigation, evaluation, negotiation and
disposition of assigned claims. The individual in this position
will also ensure claims are processed within company policies,
procedures, and with the individual's prescribed authority with
exceptional standards of performance. All job duties and
responsibilities must be carried out in compliance with applicable
legal and regulatory requirements.
- Investigate coverage and liability of claims through telephone,
automated correspondence, and/or personal contact with claimants,
attorneys, insureds, witnesses and others having pertinent
information. Issue applicable coverage letters.
- Analyze information in order to evaluate assigned claims to
determine the extent of loss, taking into consideration
contributory or comparative negligence. Assign medical or other
experts to case and arrange for medical examinations when
- Process incoming calls and correspondence from insureds,
claimants and agents regarding questions or problems associated
with claims. Interact with underwriters and agents on claim
- Evaluate, negotiate and resolve claims within delegated
authority. Handle general liability and auto liability files from
start to finish. Assign appropriate counsel if needed to defend a
- Update claims system on a continual basis to accurately reflect
status of each assigned file and to initiate percentage of
negligence on the part of the insured to determine
- Receive and approve expenses incurred to investigate, process,
and handle a claim.
- Close claim by issuing check or denial and securing appropriate
releases. Prepare check requisitions for all loss and expense
- Explore contribution on all claims assigned.
- Prepare for and participate in claims review and settlement
- Analyze information, including depositions, expert reports,
attorney evaluations, and medical reports, gained from discovery
during litigation in order to evaluate assigned claims to determine
the extent of loss, taking into consideration contributory or
comparative negligence. Assign medical or other experts to case and
arrange for medical examinations.
- College degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of general liability claim handling
experience with an insurance carrier preferred
- Industry training/designations preferred
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Negotiation and claim disposition skills with proven
- Strong judgment and decision making skills
- Self-starter with ability to work independently
- Moderate proficiency with standard business-related
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. That
means we respect and value every individual's unique opinions,
beliefs, abilities, and perspectives. We are committed to promoting
a welcoming culture that celebrates diverse talent, individual
identity, different points of view and experiences - and empowers
employees to contribute new ideas that support our continued and
growing success. Building a highly engaged team is one of our core
strategic imperatives, which we believe is enhanced by diversity,
equity, and inclusion. We expect and encourage all employees and
all of our business partners to embrace, practice, and monitor the
attitudes, values, and goals of acceptance; address biases; and
foster diversity of viewpoints and opinions.
Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Keywords: Selective Insurance Group, Inc., Allentown , General Liability Claims Specialist, Other , Allentown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!