St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of
its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable
asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to
satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering
commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured;
educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and
improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a
patient's ability to pay for health care.
The Customer Service Advocate is responsible for handling
incoming telephone calls, e-mail, and written correspondence to the
Single Business Office (SBO) regarding billing questions and/or
concerns for hospital and physician billing self-pay balances.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Answers SBO telephone lines in a timely fashion, and provides
callers with a pleasant, courteous and professional reception.
- Informs and educates patients regarding issues identified at
the time of reimbursement assessment.
- Performs research or follow-up to address issues, and if
necessary, responds back to the caller at a later time. Research
may typically require obtaining information from multiple
- Leverages knowledge of vendor and technology systems that
promote the patient experience to resolve customer concerns more
- Updates and/or corrects patient information in the SBO system
and/or communicates to appropriate staff members and
- Gives extended customer service by coordinating with other
departments to resolve issues beyond the scope of the routine
questions and/or issues.
- Maintains excellent understanding of patient accounting billing
for hospital and physician services, third party payment
methodologies and resulting of out-of-pocket balances to ensure
patient concerns or questions are fully answered.
- Maintains thorough understanding of hospital and physician
discount and financial assistance policies (both internal and
external) to address patient's inability to pay outstanding
- Follows through on commitments and achieves desired
- Exhibits sound judgment, obtains the facts, examines options,
gains support, and achieves positive outcomes.
- Actively participates in the training and development of new
team members, including direct side-by-side training.
- Maintains all documentation and records in accordance with
federal and state regulations.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Sitting for up to 8 hours per day, 3 hours at a time.
Continuously fingering and handling for data entry, typing, etc.,
and occasional twisting and turning. Uses upper extremities for
occasional lifting and carrying of up to 15 lbs of files.
Frequently stoops, bends, or reaches above shoulder level to
retrieve files. Hearing as it relates to normal conversation and
telephones. Seeing as it relates to general vision. Visual monotony
when reading reports and reviewing computer screens.
High School diploma or equivalent. Must be able to speak, read
and write English.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of one (1) year experience with third party billing in
a physician's office/hospital is preferred. Direct experience is
- Other office equipment
- Clerical experience
Demonstrates excellent customer service and communication
skills, both written and Verbal. Applicant must display the
- Diplomacy, tact, a positive approach and the willingness to
evaluate several sides of an issue
- Organizational skills and confidentiality are a must
- Works well with minimal supervision
- Problem solves
- Analytical ability
- Highly motivated
Please complete your application using your full legal name and
current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the
past seven (7) years, including your present employer.
Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume,
including all work history, education, and/or certifications and
licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a
profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application.
Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity