Lab Aide Processor
Company: St. Luke's University Health Network
Posted on: June 24, 2022
St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of
its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable
asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to
satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering
commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured;
educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and
improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a
patient's ability to pay for health care.The Laboratory Aide,
Accession Area, will be responsible for registration of laboratory
orders, handling and processing of specimens. Perform equipment
maintenance, computer entry, and communicates with the hospital
staff, physician offices and referral laboratories. Requires
independent judgment in the performance of the assigned duties. JOB
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Processes and delivers specimens according to the priority of
collection to the appropriate laboratory testing section.
- Operates a centrifuge to separate blood specimens.
- Labels blood and non-blood specimens with identifying
- Using the laboratory information system, verifies receipt of
specimens in the laboratory and applies the correct phlebotomy code
as required for charging the phlebotomy fee when appropriate.
- Transfers specimens (blood and non-blood) from primary
container to aliquot container.
- Registers patient information (demographics, insurance
information, and diagnosis) and places lab orders in Hospital
Information System for specimens received in the laboratory from
- Processes specimens that are collected at the off-site draw
stations, Allentown, Anderson, Miners, and Quakertown Campuses.
Checks the physician orders against the labels and/or verifies the
transport list (as appropriate) to ensure accuracy of orders and
resolves any discrepancy.
- Prepares microbiology specimens for transport to 77 Commerce
- Adds cytolyte to cytology specimens to reserve for shipment to
77 Commerce Way.
- Create transport lists for specimens being sent to 77 Commerce
- Prepares specimens for referral (interfaced and non-interfaced
tests) to outside reference laboratories which include logging,
packaging and mailing of specimens.
- Reviews pending test lists to assure all specimens are received
for referral testing.
- Performs daily and monthly maintenance on streamlab.
- Maintains and monitors equipment (centrifuges, label and paper
printers, refrigerators, pneumatic tube).
- Monitors the audit trail printer to ensure it is current for
receipt of orders across the interface.
- Answers phone inquiries about specimens, results, and
- Communicates as necessary with other health care departments
within and outside of the hospital. PHYSICAL AND SENSORY
REQUIREMENTS: Walking for up to six (6) hours in half-hour
increments. - Frequently uses fingers for typing data entry, and
hands for processing specimens which includes twisting and turning
specimen caps. - Continuously uses upper extremities for
transporting of specimens up to ten (10) pounds. - Rarely lifts,
pushes or pulls from 26 to 50 pounds. - Rarely stoops, bends or
reaches above shoulder level. - Hearing as it relates to normal
conversation. - Seeing as it relates to general vision, near
vision, peripheral vision and visual monotony. EDUCATION: - High
School Diploma Please complete your application using your full
legal name and -current home address. -Be sure to -include
-employment history for -the past seven (7) years, including your
present employer. - Additionally, you are -encouraged to upload a
current resume, including all work history, education, and/or
certifications and -licenses, if applicable. -It is highly
recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of
submitting your first application. -Thank you for your interest in
Keywords: St. Luke's University Health Network, Allentown , Lab Aide Processor, Healthcare , Allentown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!