Registered Nurse Bed Coordinator, St. Luke's Center -FT Evenings
Company: St. Luke's University Health Network
Posted on: November 22, 2021
St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of
its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable
asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to
satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering
commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured;
educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and
improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a
patient's ability to pay for health care.The RN Bed Coordinator
will prioritize, triage, and coordinate patient flow activity
including all inter/intra-facility transfers and bed placement at
the St. Luke---s University and Health Network. Responsible to be
the initial contact for all providers who wish to transfer a
patient for a higher level of care. The RN will facilitate
transfers to the most appropriate Network facility based on
location, available specialties, and bed availability in
conjunction with the accepting physician.The objective is to
prevent all inappropriate transfers while facilitating all
others.The intent of this job description is to provide a summary
of the major duties and responsibilities of this position and shall
not be considered as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be inherent in the position.
- Logs into phone system Answers all calls for transfers, direct
admissions and emergency admissions in a timely fashion while
demonstrating exceptional customer service.
- Effectively utilizes medical appropriateness criteria for all
urgent and emergent transfers/ admissions including treatment plan
and reason for admission.
- Contacts sending facility, if additional insurance information
- Assures transfer of all necessary paperwork and medical records
from referring facility and inpatient unit for clinical and billing
- Initiates Case Management referrals when appropriate.
- Coordinates activities of the department and promotes
cooperation to the staff to achieve department objectives and
maintain good interdepartmental relations. Promotes and maintains
harmonious and effective working relationships within the hospital
and with the public, (e.g., police, ambulance, clergy, others).
- Reviews Capacity Management Dashboard in EPIC to determine
overall census condition and bed availability.
- Utilizes appropriate triage and clinical skills to determine
- Assigns beds for new patient admissions and makes arrangements
for emergency operations and other services which are available on
an on-call basis.
- Attends meetings as required; such as administrative meetings,
committee and staff meetings and daily bed/staff planning meeting.
- Maintains professional growth and development through
professional affiliations, seminars, workshops, conferences, etc.
- Demonstrates a consistent level of effort and performance;
strives to maintain a steady level of productivity.
- Demonstrates proper procedure and knowledge of regulations for
- Communicates an orderly transfer of information with each shift
- Utilizes tools within Epic to proactively monitor beds for
- Balances the coordination of placement of ED admissions,
post-operative patients, transfers and direct admissions to be able
to accommodate all bed placements while minimizing disruption to OR
schedule and ED capacity.
- Performs initial screen to assure all necessary insurance
authorizations are obtained, if applicable. Initiates
pre-certification if required for transfers out by communicating
effectively with case management
- Triages and secures the most appropriate means of
transportation, including ground or air units in collaboration with
the sending physician
- Communicates with the Hospital Supervisor or Critical Care
Coordinator for intervention when needed.
- Assists referring physician in identifying an attending
physician to accept the transfer patient.
- Facilitates communication between referring and receiving
physicians and nursing units.
- Facilitates report hand off from referring facility to
- Provides recommendations for process improvement, including
potential actions to correct a problem.
- Maintains confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA standards of
all materials handled within the Network/Entity as well as the
proper release of information.
- Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding
issues of employee, patient and environmental safety and follows
appropriate reporting requirements.
- Demonstrates/models the Network's Service Excellence Standards
of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and
- Demonstrates Performance Improvement in the following areas as
appropriate: Clinical Care/Outcomes, Customer/Service Improvement,
Operational System/Process, and Safety and various Alert Systems in
place at SLH.
- Demonstrates financial responsibility and accountability
through the effective and efficient use of resources in daily
procedures, processes and practices.
- Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding
attendance and dress code.
- Assists in interviewing, selecting and orientation of new
- Collaborates AVP and Patient Access Manager to facilitate
review of departmental practices.
- Maintains accurate database and bed board for use by all
Patient Access Center staff.
- Maintains responsibility for own professional development
through active participation in in-services and/or continuing
- Complies with the established chain of command for work related
problems. PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS: Sit up to 2 hours per
day; 1 hour at a time. Stand for up to 10 hours per day; 8 hours at
a time. Walk 6 hours per day; 10 minutes at a time. Consistently
lift, carry and push objects up to 10 lbs. Occasionally lift, carry
and push objects up to 75 lbs. Transports patients weighing up to
500 lbs. via wheelchair, bed and/or stretcher. Frequently stoop and
bend. Frequently reach above should level. Must be able to perceive
attributes of an object through touch. Must be able to hear as it
relates to normal conversation and high and low frequencies. Must
be able to see as it relates to general, near, far, color and
peripheral vision. EDUCATION: Current RN license in the State of
Pennsylvania. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: One year medical/surgical
experience preferred. Individualized orientation program for all
areas. Evidence of successful completion of BLS. Please complete
your application using your full legal name and--current home
address. --Be sure to--include--employment history for--the past
seven (7) years, including your present employer.-- Additionally,
you are--encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work
history, education, and/or certifications and--licenses, if
applicable. --It is highly recommended that you create a profile at
the conclusion of submitting your first application. --Thank you
for your interest in St. Luke's!!St. Luke's University Health
Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: St. Luke's University Health Network, Allentown , Registered Nurse Bed Coordinator, St. Luke's Center -FT Evenings, Healthcare , Allentown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!