Chief Financial Officer
Company: Allentown School District
Posted on: January 23, 2023
- Position Type:
Executive Administration/ Executive Director
- Date Posted:
Administration Center - Allentown, PA
Chief Financial Officer -
Salary Level: TBA -
- Bachelor's Degree in business administration/management,
accounting or related field.
- Master's in Business Administration or CPA certification
- Minimum five years experience as a business manager or related
- Knowledge of current laws and regulations relating to public
- Evidence of school and/or business leadership experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Executive Core Qualifications, including the ability to lead
change and lead people, the ability to meet to meet District goals
with a focus on results, the possession of business acumen, and the
ability to build coalitions. Must be able to lead and manage, and
to ensure that targeted goals and initiatives are achieved.
- Demonstrated skills in computer technology and financial / HR
computer software applications.
- Satisfactory work record & criminal/child abuse clearances
(Acts 34, 114 and 151).
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty -satisfactorily. The requirements
listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or
ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Such additional or alternatives to the above qualifications as
the Board and/or Superintendent may determine appropriate and
acceptable. - Summary Supervises system-wide business affairs,
fiscal management, tax collection, procurement, budgetary
development and related support functions while maintaining
accurate and complete records of the District's financial affairs;
The Business Manager works to ensure fiscal accountability and to
maximize the use of human and financial resources through
reallocation of overall resources; Collaborates with Human
Resources to complement their functions for employees of the
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities -
- Supervises the accounting system necessary to provide school
officials and administrators with accurate financial facts as the
basis for formulating policies and decisions; provides the proper
safeguards for custody of public funds.
- Performs pre-audit of internal procedures; determines that
prepared statements present fairly the financial position,
propriety, legality, and accuracy of financial transactions; proper
recording of all financial transactions; post-audit procedures;
external audits; reconciliation of internal and external audits;
conducts internal reviews of student activities and petty cash
funds in the District schools; monitors food service accounts.
- Develops procedures and policy on cash management and
investments; develops cash projection report of revenues and
expenditures of the general fund; selects the type and source of
investments; secures proper collateralization of investments;
maintains records and prepares monthly report of cash and
investments; provides for full investment of all surplus
- Holds responsibility for debt service and capital fund
management. Performs long and short-term financing, including Tax
Anticipation Notes (TANS); maturities and debt payments; long-range
capital improvement programs; short-term debt management; debt
service payment procedures and reports; investment of surplus
capital funds; refunding of bond issues.
- Implements the School District's financial accounting system in
accordance with "The Manual of Accounting and Related Financial
Procedures for Pennsylvania School District, 1983"; translates the
school budget into a business office accounting system; prepares
the annual financial report of the
- District and other financial reports as required for submission
to the State; prepares monthly financial reports to the Board of
School Directors; interprets the annual audit report; supervises
accounting procedures on payroll operation, accounts payable, trust
and agency accounts, local, state and federal taxes, retirement,
social security, insurance programs, capital reserve funds, student
activity funds, and construction funds.
- Holds responsibility for financial planning and budgeting.
Compiles and prepares the annual education budget; long-term fiscal
planning; operating budget control; expenditure and revenue
estimates; fiscal relationships with other governmental units;
prepares monthly financial reports for the Board of School
- Administers Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b) Plans for all
- Holds responsibility for insurance and risk management.
Performs review of insurance programs in collaboration with human
resources; determines coverage to be provided; obtains insurable
values on building and contents; files insurance claims and
reports; directs insurance procurement procedures; maintains
insurance policies and claim records; develops specifications and
places insurance with companies, agents, and brokers.
- Supervises payroll operations for payment of all employees in
accordance with negotiated contracts and Board policies; supervises
completion of local, state, and federal reports on payroll
deductions; has responsibility for establishing payroll policies
and procedures; supervises proper accounting of all payroll
disbursements; supervises and audits all payroll records.
- Acts as designated purchasing agent for the School District;
processes purchase orders; recommends and enforces purchasing
policies, procedures, and regulations; prepares specifications and
determines quality of equipment and supplies; enforces school code
requirements for bidding and purchasing; responsible for storage
and delivery of supplies; maintains inventory control; serves as
the School District's expert on the source and cost of supplies,
equipment, and services; maintains records and catalogues on items
to be purchased.
- Holds responsibility for Real Estate and Fixed Asset
Management. Maintains inventory records and determines values of
fixed assets; secures adequate insurance and provides for security
of fixed assets; responsible for management of real and personal
- Reviews the tax collections of, and when necessary, provides
input to the locally elected and appointed tax collectors for the
- -Provides financial data for state and federal financial
grants; provides assistance in securing financial grants; monitors
District use of grant monies.
- Works collaboratively with the Deputy Superintendent and
Director of Facilities to establish accountability for energy
consumption and to establish a District energy management program
for the reduction of utility consumption.
- Serves as the District's Record Retention Officer for
non-educational records, the district's delegate to the Lehigh
County Tax Collection Committee and the District's Right to Know
Officer for information requests.
- Attends Board meetings and work sessions. Attends meetings and
conferences as required by the position. Attends professional
seminars and workshops.
- -Serves as a member of the District's Emergency Management Plan
- -Serves as Board Secretary.
- -Ensures proper adherence to District policy and procedures and
ensures proper adherence to applicable contract language that is in
effect for the district.
- Provides increased fiscal oversight for Title I, Title II,
ACCESS, and IDEA Federal funds.
- Performs any other duties assigned by the Superintendent.
Postings current as of 1/19/2023 10:33:13 PM CST. Powered by
applicant tracking, a product of Frontline Education.
Keywords: Allentown School District, Allentown , Chief Financial Officer, Accounting, Auditing , Allentown, Pennsylvania
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!